Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Breasts and blessings



Letitia was so much on my mind today. I felt that she was sitting with me. Watching her slowly die of breast cancer and having a dodgy history myself, challenged me psychologically.

Today, I went for my annual mammogram. I have had cysts in my breasts at least for the past 9 years. Last year this time, I was chomping at the bit as they found 'clusters' which needed a biopsy. That proceedure was by a long shot, one of the worst experiences I've ever had (pertaining to my own heath that is ...not even childbirth was as traumatic).
The biopsy included being slung on an elevated table with a strategically placed hole in it, having the offending charlie dangled through the hole then having it squished to the size of a crumpet. A rediculously thick needle was shot into the site three times to get the specimen...fortunately removing most of the cluster and a little ribbon shaped marker was then injected into the site to 'mark the spot'.
Well, today I sit here feeling so, so gratefull and humbled at the Lords mercy and blessings in my life. I got the all clear so dont have to repeat the nerve-racking proceedures of last year.
It takes experiences like this...really horrible, scary experiences, for us to realise whats important and what is not. We are increadibly vulnerable as humans. Wealth and good fortune often blinds us to what the essence of happiness is...and its not mearly wealth and good fortune...its sharing it all....and your heart, your soul, your life with others not only to enrich theirs but your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment